Pre-Tax Spending Plan
Summary plan description of the ExxonMobil Pre-Tax Spending Plan as of January 2023
About the ExxonMobil Pre-Tax Spending Plan
This summary plan description (SPD) is a summary of the ExxonMobil Pre-Tax Spending Plan (the Plan). It does not contain all plan details. In determining specific benefits, the full provisions of the formal plan documents, as they exist now or as they may exist in the future, always govern. Copies of these documents are available for your review.
Applicability to represented employees is governed by collective bargaining agreements and any local bargaining requirements.
When you need information, you may contact:
Claims administrator - Provides claim payment information and claim forms.
Aetna Member Services
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.,
(U.S. Central Time), except certain holidays
Automated Voice Response - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
P. O. Box 14879
Lexington, KY 40512-4879
To visit Aetna's website: www.aetna.com
Benefits Administration - Provides opportunity for specialized assistance from Customer Service Representatives.
ExxonMobil Benefits Service Center
Hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, except certain holidays
P.O. Box 18025
Norfolk, VA 23501-1867
ExxonMobil sponsored sites - Access to plan-related information for employees and their family members.
- Employee Connect, the Human Resources Intranet Site - Can be accessed at work by current employees.
- ExxonMobil Family, the Human Resources Internet Site - Can be accessed from home at www.exxonmobilfamily.com by everyone.
The ExxonMobil Pre-Tax Spending Plan (the Plan) allows you to take advantage of significant tax savings in three ways:
- When you elect coverage under a medical, dental and/or vision plan to which a participating ExxonMobil employer contributes, your required contributions (what you may think of as your premiums) will be on a pre-tax basis, unless you opt out of this feature every year. Pre-tax contributions for your premiums are different than your pre-tax contributions to your flexible spending account.
- The Health Care Flexible Spending Account allows you to set aside pre-tax money for the reimbursement of out-of-pocket medical, dental or vision expenses for both you and your family members.
- The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account allows you to set aside pre-tax money for the reimbursement of day care charges provided for your children under age 13 or for a disabled child or adult who lives with you and depends on you financially. This account does not cover medical or dental expenses.
Most employees may participate in one, two or all three parts of the Plan:
- You are enrolled to pay your contributions for medical, dental and vision plan coverage on a pre-tax basis. If you do not wish to pay your contributions on a pre-tax basis, you must opt out of this feature each year during Annual Enrollment. If you do not opt out each year, your contributions will be made on a pre-tax basis beginning the following plan year.
- Each year, you must elect an annual amount to contribute in order to participate in the Health Care Flexible Spending Account and/or the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account.
Your participation in the Plan does not reduce any ExxonMobil benefits related to pay (for example, Life Insurance or Savings Plan contributions).
Plan at a glance
If you are eligible, you may participate in one, two or all three parts of the Plan. See Eligibility and enrollment.
You are enrolled to pay your contributions for medical, dental and vision plan coverage on a pre-tax basis. See Pre-Tax Contributions for Medical, Dental and Vision Plan coverage.
The Health Care Flexible Spending Account
You may set aside pre-tax dollars for unreimbursed, out-of-pocket medical, dental or vision expenses incurred by you and your family members during the plan year. See Health Care Flexible Spending Account.
The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account can help you pay for a family member's care expenses with pre-tax dollars if a qualified dependent receives day care so you, and your spouse if you are married, can work outside the home. Eligible expenses include charges for day care provided for your children under age 13 or for a disabled child or adult who lives with you and depends on you financially. See Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account.
If you have available Health Care FSA funds, you will be reimbursed automatically from the Health Care Flexible Spending Account for claims processed as a participant in the ExxonMobil Medical Plan, the ExxonMobil Dental Plan and eligible claims processed by UnitedHealthcare Vision (UHC Vision) for the ExxonMobil Vision Plan. Otherwise, you must file a claim form and attach documentation of your expenses to be reimbursed from either the Health Care or Dependent Care Flexible Spending accounts. See Claiming reimbursement.
The Plan provides significant tax savings. Examples show how you save taxes by participating in the Plan. See Tax implications.
Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act 1985 (COBRA)
You and your family members who lose eligibility may continue pre-tax coverage for a limited time under certain circumstances. See Continuation coverage.
Administrative and ERISA information
The Plan is subject to rules of the federal government, including the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended (ERISA), not state insurance laws. See Administrative and ERISA information.