Eligible Family Members

If you are enrolled in health care coverage, you may also enroll your eligible family members in medical, dental and vision coverage, provided they are:
Your spouse who:
  • Is in a marriage with you that is legally recognized under the laws of the state or other jurisdiction in which the marriage takes place, consistent with U.S. federal law.
Your child who:
  • Is a natural child, stepchild or adopted child who has not reached the end of the month during which they reach age 26; or
  • Is totally and continuously disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment as further described in the ExxonMobil Medical Plan Summary Plan Description; or
  • Is recognized under a qualified medical child support order as having a right to coverage; or
  • Is a grandchild, niece, nephew, cousin, or other child related by blood or marriage over whom a regular employee or the spouse of a regular employee (separately or together) is the sole court appointed legal guardian or sole managing conservator; or
  • Is a child for whom the regular employee has assumed a legal obligation for support immediately prior to the child’s adoption by the regular employee.
You may continue covering an eligible dependent child after age 26 if they:
  • Are totally and continuously disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental or physical disability; and
  • Meet the definition of a dependent by the Internal Revenue Service; and
  • Were covered as an eligible family member under this plan immediately prior to age 26 when the child’s eligibility would have otherwise ceased; and
  • Met the clinical definition of totally and continuously disabled before age 26 and continues to meet the clinical definition through subsequent periodic reassessments.
You may be asked to confirm dependent status on a periodic basis.
You need to ensure your enrolled family members are still eligible. If your family member is no longer eligible for coverage, you must notify ExxonMobil Benefits Service Center.
  • Failure to notify ExxonMobil Benefits Service Center about a family member who is no longer eligible, for example a former spouse, can result in your loss of eligibility for the health care plans, and you will be required to reimburse the Plans for any claims paid after the loss of eligibility for any ineligible person(s). You may also be subject to discipline up to and including termination of employment.
  • If you are changing medical options in the ExxonMobil Benefits portal, check the box in front of each family member you wish to cover.
  • If you experience a change in status, such as a marriage or the birth of a child during the year, you may be eligible to make changes to your benefit elections. You will have 60 days from the date of the event to make your change.
  • For questions, use the “Contact Us” ticket from the ExxonMobil Benefits portal or call the ExxonMobil Benefits Service Center at 800-682-2847.